What To Wear To A Golf Tournament? In this guide we’re going to go over the do’s and don’ts of golf tournament dress codes so you can look and feel your best.
This isn’t to say that a uniform is necessary for the fans or the participants of certain sports, but it is nice to be involved in all aspects of the sport itself.
For more mainstream sports, this style is quite well known. Soccer players and fans have their jerseys, as do basketball players.
However, when we look at golf, the style is a lot less universal and can be quite strange and upsetting to wonder about.
So, what is it you are supposed to wear to a golf tournament? Is it something universal or a bit more flexible in design? In this article, we seek to find that out.
What Women Tend To Wear
Since attending a high-end golf tournament is a special occasion, many people will dress their best for the event.
This includes men and women, who will often look deep into their wardrobe for items of clothing that are worn maybe once or twice a year, but that are blindingly beautiful.
Unfortunately, the most high-end clothing items we own are not necessarily the right clothes for a golf tournament.
Golf tournaments take place normally on hot days, which if you are wearing the type of clothes you would wear to a fancy dinner party then you will be baking in the intense heat of the day, unless you are in a place with air conditioning or cooling apparatus.
As such, you may want to keep a balance between nice clothing and comfortable clothing:
- Many women choose to avoid things that are too revealing. While very short skirts and shorts are very good in hot weather, golf can be a bit conservative in its views and since golf tournaments are televised, it might be easier and safer to just go with some slightly longer skirts, shorts, and t-shirts.
- Neutral colored clothing tends to be the norm for most golfing tournaments. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have more outlandish colors, just be aware you may stand out a little more.
- Accessories are definitely encouraged. As you’ve seen in the last two paragraphs, there is not much room for putting your own sense of style into your clothes at golf tournaments, so having a few accessories, like a necklace or purse, is definitely a good thing to make your outfit yours.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Trust us, this is something you really want to do. You will be walking on grass throughout a hot day, and you will probably be forced to stand in one place for a long time. Comfortable shoes are a must.
- If your makeup has an SPF factor, then it is worth putting on, but if it doesn’t then you should forgo it for sun cream. The UV rays will beat down on you, and you want to be able to deal with them effectively. Also, it might be best to bring a hat and sunglasses.
What Men Tend To Wear
The conservatism of golfing attire is not just limited to women, it also affects men too. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to strike a balance between comfortable and nice clothes either:
- It would be best to avoid wearing tank tops or jeans. They are seen as too casual, and although they may be comfortable, it would just be best to avoid the hassle or comments.
- Again, neutral colors are the best things you can wear, but if you can get away with a more outlandish color, then be aware of the spotlight being on you.
- Generally, a shirt or a polo shirt with some dress shorts is the best idea, but if you feel comfortable in the heat with them, then you can also wear trousers.
- Try to avoid wearing clothes with writing or extreme patterns on them. If the event is televised, you may be asked to leave or change. Also, don’t wear shirts that advertise brands. This may contradict the strict marketing of the televised event.
- Again, comfortable shoes are a must. Sneakers or tennis shoes would be the best, but don’t wear golfing shoes with spikes. You will be in a crowd, not playing, and so you could step on another person’s foot.
- Lastly, a hat, sunglasses, and definitely sun cream are a must for such a hot and exposed day.
Other Items You Should Bring
There are a few other items you should bring apart from those above that are not a part of your outfit, but will make life so much easier for you.
The first is a small bag to carry everything. It doesn’t have to be a rucksack or a large Duffel bag, but a plastic bag or a small bag will help you out.
The next thing you should bring is water. It will probably be hot when you are watching the golf, and you will be walking and watching all day.
Having water will keep you hydrated and stop any medical emergencies happening.
Golfing tournaments not only take place on hot days, but in natural environments, which means bugs.
If you attract bugs, and they love to bite you, then you will probably want to bring some insect spray.
It may not feel like much in the tournament itself, but when you get home it will be necessary.
Lastly, always bring a phone. A phone is absolutely necessary in case of emergencies.
What will you do if you collapse from the heat? Or get lost? It may not seem like much, but a phone will help you no end.
Generally, the attire people tend to wear to a golfing tournament is pretty traditional and conservative in nature, while also trying to balance comfort for the person.
If you want to make your outfit your own or stand out, then you might want to consider how to do so in a low-key way.